Sunday, March 16, 2014

Snow Day

Here in New England we have been having a rough winter. It is already March and it is still freezing outside. It seemed like in February every week there was another snow storm. Even though bad weather is usually, well, bad, the upside is that it gives me more time to stay inside and sew lots of things for all of you! Over president's day weekend, we had about 8 inches of snow. After plowing the driveway, my husband and I went to the backyard to make snow angels, have a brief snowball fight, and then make a snowman. It's still just as fun now as it was when I was little.

All the snow reminded me of when I was young and enjoyed lots of snow days on the farm. I have so many great winter memories and it's probably one of the reasons that I loved the winter. There was sledding, making snow forts, hot chocolate, cozying by the fireplace and playing monopoly.


On days when the snow was prime for sledding, all my cousins and I gathered to my aunts house next door who had the best hill in the neighborhood. One year we had snow, and then an ice storm, so we could sled across the ice down the entire field of the farm to the main road about a quarter mile away.



Sometimes even my uncle would bring out his truck with a long rope attached to the back. We would hop onto our slides, hold the rope, and then get dragged around at 10-20 miles per hour. The brave ones would hold on with no sled at all. Ah, those were the days. We would sled down the hill for hours and hours until it was dark and we were exhausted. Afterward, we would go inside for hot chocolate and a game of monopoly that we usually never finished.

Other winters, when the snow wasn't good for sledding, my sisters and I would build giant igloos and forts in the yard. There would be massive tunnels that connected to bigger rooms and even skylights. It was surprisingly warm inside our igloos and we would just sit in there for hours playing some make-believe game.

What games did you play in the winter? What are some of your favorite memories in the snow?

1 comment :