Monday, May 5, 2014

A is for Apron

What little kid doesn't like helping their mom in the kitchen, especially when she is baking something sweet! Whether it was chocolate chip cookies, brownies, cakes, or fresh bread, if I ever asked my mom to help she would say, "Wash your hands and put on an apron." There is something about an apron that makes you feel like an official baker or chef. It says "I'm ready to get to work and get messy!"

I still love baking–my favorite is making cupcakes and then piling on the frosting. However, as my husband can attest, I do make a big mess. There is usually batter splatter and powdered sugar all of the countertops. This is exactly when an apron would come in handy, but of course I often forget to put it on until it’s too late. Haha.

The only think I like more than baking is baking with little ones! While it can be slower and even messier than usual, I love to see their eagerness to stir the batter, their expression of delight when they get to lick the spoon, and pride when they taste their handiwork. For a child it’s an opportunity for learning and following directions and for an adult is an opportunity for teaching and a lesson in patience. It’s like a team building exercise.

And what does a star baking team always need? Matching aprons of course! Like sport jerseys for a coach and player, these are the uniforms for mother & daughter, aunt & niece, big person & little person.

I have been working on perfecting the perfect apron pattern that is easy to sew, but also adorable and feminine. (Let’s face it, guys don’t wear aprons). Currently, in my stash, I have a variety of half aprons and full aprons, some matching and some not. But soon I will be unveiling my own collection of reversible “Mommy & Me” aprons once I get the pattern just right.






1 comment :

  1. These are adorable :-) can't wait to see the reversible ones. Hope they have some pixie dust sprinkled in :-)

    ReplyDelete